My Plotter Journey: Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

See the previous post here. 

After introducing you to the fascinating world of mechanical drawing plotters in my previous post, I'm excited to share my personal journey with these incredible machines. From getting my own plotter to experimenting with various techniques and facing unexpected challenges, this post will take you through the ups and downs of my plotter adventure.

The Excitement of My First Plotter

Finally, after much anticipation, I got my own plotter! The joy of unboxing and setting it up was unparalleled. I couldn't wait to start creating, and my enthusiasm was evident in my early morning tweet: "Plot, Plot Plottat!!! Plotting first things in the morn." While I wasn't entirely satisfied with the initial results, I knew this was just the beginning of an exciting exploration.

Experimenting with Mixed Media

One of the most thrilling aspects of working with a plotter is the ability to combine it with traditional art techniques. My first plot involved using the plotter on wet paper, creating an interesting interplay between the precision of the machine and the unpredictability of water.

I also experimented with mixing the plotter's output with watercolors. The result was a unique blend of digital precision and organic fluidity. Here's a glimpse of my setup, with the plotter mounted on my window:

                                                                Plot, Plot Plottat !!!

The Collaboration That Never Was

Not all experiments go as planned, and I learned this the hard way. I had always dreamed of collaborating with friends on artistic projects, but reality proved to be more complicated. My best friend owned an Axidraw plotter, and I mistakenly assumed she'd be okay with me using it regularly. I spent time creating designs, envisioning them printed on the Axidraw. However, despite sharing the same dream of utilizing the plotter, our levels of commitment differed.

After printing just a few designs, my friend backed off, leaving me with a collection of unprinted vector illustrations. It was a disappointing experience, but it taught me valuable lessons about communication and managing expectations in creative collaborations.

If any readers are interested in collaborating and bringing these designs to life, I'd be thrilled to have a conversation!


 An experiment that never finished. I have always dreamt of working with my friends but turns out that is not always a good idea. My best friend owns an Axidraw, a mistake on my part was to assume that she would be okay if I used it(as she said, turns out she was just saying it as a formality). So I kept making designs and hoped that I could get them printed on the axidraw. Though she shared the same dream of using the axidraw and the vision of what can be done with it, she didn't really feel the passion I felt to commit to it. Just after printing the first few designs, she backed off leaving me with unprinted vector illustrations. these are some of the prints that I wish they were printed. 









If anyone reading this blogpost would like to collaborate and print these, I would be more than happy, to have a conversation.  

Finding My Style

As I continued to work with my plotter, I began to develop a style that felt uniquely mine. I experimented with different media and techniques, gradually refining my approach. Here are a couple of my favorite pieces:  

A5, Alcohol markers, waterpaints.


Real-World Application

I even had the opportunity to use my plotter for a practical purpose – creating a Corona special poster. This project served as a demo for an interview with Ploti.in, showcasing the versatility of plotter art. 



Print P0002
A5 
watercolor X plotter X marker 0.5



print num P0001
A5
watercolor X plotter X steadler 0.5 marker

using a plotter to make a corona special poster. I used this as a demo for an interview with Ploti.in 



 

The Setback

Just as I was hitting my stride and producing work I was truly proud of, I encountered a significant setback. The servo motor in my plotter burned out, bringing my creative flow to an abrupt halt. It was a frustrating reminder that working with technology often comes with unexpected challenges. But as they say, that's just life – full of ups and downs!




Looking Forward

Despite the challenges, my journey with mechanical drawing plotters has been incredibly rewarding. Each setback has been an opportunity to learn and grow, both as an artist and as a technologist. I'm excited to continue exploring the possibilities of this medium, pushing the boundaries of what's possible when human creativity meets mechanical precision.

Stay tuned for more updates on my plotter adventures, and don't hesitate to reach out if you're interested in collaborating or just chatting about the fascinating world of mechanical drawing plotters!




Comments

Popular Posts