My Illustration Friday Journey: 10 Pieces of Art and Memory

As an artist, I've always yearned to be recognized among my peers. Illustration Friday provided the perfect platform to challenge myself and showcase my work. Here are 10 topics I've illustrated, each with its own story and significance.

Camels and Elephants

Camels were a daily sight from the rear window of my childhood home, inhabiting a nearby hill. Elephants, though rare visitors, caused excitement among the neighborhood children. I vividly recall, even at 3-4 years old, running behind these majestic creatures. It's amusing how I once thought these animals were solely for children's amusement, only later learning about their historical significance in transportation.





Beneath: The Many Facets of an Artist

This piece explores different aspects of myself, including the "tharki" (horny) side. It's a reflection on the multifaceted nature of being an artist, embracing all parts of oneself, even those society might deem inappropriate.
















Sneaky: Shadows in the Dark

Created with a brush pen, "Sneaky" explores the realm of childhood imagination and fear. The illustration shows a child peering into the darkness, where ordinary shadows transform into mysterious shapes and creatures. This piece captures the fine line between fear and fascination that children often experience in the dark, bringing to life the power of a young mind to create entire worlds from simple shadows.

 











Artificial Love: The Attachment to Toys

This illustration depicts children's attachment to toys, sometimes persisting into adulthood. While not inherently negative, this artificial love can confine individuals to a smaller world, limiting their experiences and growth.


Street Dogs: A Daily Drama

An everyday scene among street dogs: a male approaches a female, who responds with "ooo ooo ooo" (presumably meaning "not now"). This piece captures the raw, unfiltered nature of animal behavior in urban settings.

Sneaky: Shadows in the Dark

Created with a brush pen, "Sneaky" explores the realm of childhood imagination and fear. The illustration shows a child peering into the darkness, where ordinary shadows transform into mysterious shapes and creatures. This piece captures the fine line between fear and fascination that children often experience in the dark, bringing to life the power of a young mind to create entire worlds from simple shadows.


Photoshop Experiments

This piece was an experiment with Photoshop. While I'm not entirely satisfied with the result, it represents my willingness to explore new techniques and step out of my comfort zone.

Reverse: Lessons in Technique

This illustration taught me valuable lessons about media choices. Using a sketch pen on unsuitable paper resulted in thicker lines than intended, potentially compromising the piece. It's a reminder that sometimes, our initial instincts (like coloring digitally) might be the right choice.


Swarm: Evening Sky at NID

Inspired by the evening sky at NID, this piece depicts thousands of birds in flight. Their movement creates an illusion of leaves dispersing from trees into the sky. The loud chirping drowns out nearby conversations, creating a mesmerizing spectacle - until nightfall brings a rain of bird droppings. Experimenting with diluted ink and a crowquill pen brought interesting depth and variation to the piece.


Drugged: Struggles with Digital Media

This piece attempts to illustrate the state of mind of an intoxicated person. While the final result falls short of my vision, it represents my ongoing struggle with Photoshop. It's a reminder that some media might not be my "cup of tea," but each attempt is a learning experience.

Reflecting on these ten pieces, I see not just illustrations, but snapshots of my growth as an artist. Each represents a challenge faced, a memory captured, or a technique explored. While not every piece met my expectations, they all contributed to my artistic journey.

Illustration Friday has been more than just a weekly prompt; it's been a catalyst for creativity, pushing me to explore new subjects and techniques. As I continue this journey, I look forward to more challenges, more growth, and more opportunities to share my unique perspective with the world.

Follow my daily life on Insta or X.

Find more posts like this here and on my website. 


Comments

Popular Posts